Retrieve a Quote Get Policy Document
Call us: 0203 829 6764
Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat-Sun 9am-5pm


If you have a question about Alpha or our products, you may be able to find the answer in our frequently asked questions section. We have put together a list of the most popular questions we get asked by our customers - simply click on the question below to reveal the answer.

If you are unable to find the answer to your question here, don't worry, please contact us and we will be able to help you.


Who are Alpha Travel Insurance?

Alpha Travel Insurance is a trading name of Infinity Insurance Solutions Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

Alpha Travel Insurance specialises in affordable travel insurance to suit all types of travellers and budgets, without sacrificing important elements of cover. Just choose your product and then your excess – it’s insurance, the simple way.

Do you provide cover for pre-existing medical conditions?

We define a pre-existing medical condition to be any serious or recurring medical condition which has been previously diagnosed, investigated or treated in any way, at any time prior to travel, even if this condition is currently considered to be stable and under control. Alpha is able to provide cover for a range of medical conditions using our online medical screening system, however if your condition is more complex it may be easier to speak to an advisor by calling us.

Why is your insurance so cheap compared to other providers? Is there a catch?

Nope no catch here! We simply work hard with our Underwriters to be able to offer you a range of insurance products that tick all the right boxes at an affordable and unbeatable price.

Where can I find a list of countries that my travel policy covers?

Take a look at our country list page to view a list of all the countries we can provide cover for. You can check  which ones your specific insurance policy covers by checking the list and matching this to the destination area listed on your policy schedule. Please be aware, we do not provide cover for countries FCO does not advise travel for.

Do you provide cover for air ambulance, mountain rescue and repatriation?

These elements are included with every policy and fall under the £10 million emergency medical expenses section. If you find yourself in a medical emergency whilst abroad, please contact our 24/7 emergency medical assistance team (EAF) and they will be able to provide advice on the best course of treatment, liaise with the treating hospital doctors and work on the best way/time to get you home.

Does Alpha cover cruise holidays?

If you purchased your policy on or after 1st May 2015, we have a cruise extension that can be added to Single or Multi Trip policies at the same time of getting an online quote. Please note that this is for cruises up to the value of £2,000 per person and is not designed to cover larger, more expensive cruise trips.

If you purchased your policy on or before 30th April 2015 there is no cover for cruises or cruise based holidays at all on your policy. Please contact us and a member of our team will be happy to discuss your individual requirements.

I made a mistake on my insurance policy documentation, can this be corrected?

Yes of course. Please contact our Customer Service Team and they will be happy to amend this for you. Why not skip the call waiting queues and use our popular live chat facility by clicking on the green ‘live chat’ button at the top of the page.

How will I receive my policy and what documents are included?

All Alpha Travel Insurance policies are sent immediately after purchase via email. Sometimes if your inbox settings are set high, the email may go in to your junk/spam/other folders so please check these too!

We are more than happy to send documents out via post should this be requested by the customer, however an additional charge of £5.00 is payable to cover postage and packaging costs. Delivery by post usually takes around 5 working days to arrive.

When you receive your documents, either by post or by email, you will have:

  • An initial letter from us to thank you for your Alpha purchase.
  • A schedule of insurance (equivalent to a policy certificate that details those listed on the insurance, trip dates and destinations).
  • Policy wording (this outlines your contract with us and the terms and conditions of what the policy can do for you).
  • Key facts (this is a summary of the policy wording)
  • And if applicable, a medical screening document (if you have declared any medical conditions or medications to us, your questions and answers will be listed on this and details of cover).

I have purchased insurance but not received the documentation yet by email - can this be resent?

Yes of course. Simply fill in the document resend online form here and we will get these resent to you.

What is a 'cooling off period'?

From the date that you purchase a policy, you are given a 14 day ‘cooling off period’ which gives you time to read the policy wording and check that the cover you have bought completely meets your needs. You are able to ask us any questions during this time and we are able to explain any of the policy terms in greater detail to ensure that you are happy with your purchase.

If, for any reason, that you find that the cover is not suitable, we are able to refund the price of the policy in full provided you contact us within those 14 days and you have not travelled or made a claim.

Are the policy limits and policy excesses per person?

Yes, they are. All of the policy limits as well as excesses are per person and will be taken in to consideration in the event of a claim.

Do I have gadget cover on my policy?

If you purchased your policy on or after 1st May 2015 – Gadget cover is NOT included as standard.
You will need to purchase the gadget extension and pay an additional premium in order to have cover. Any claims are dealt with by Supercover Insurance claims department and you can view their contact details by visiting this page.

If you purchased your policy between 4th February 2015 – 30th April 2015 – You have gadget cover included as standard.
Any claims are dealt with by Supercover Insurance Claims Department and you can find their details here.

If you purchased your policy on or before 3rd February 2015 – Gadget cover is NOT included as standard.
A gadget extension was available to purchase on Single Trip and Multi Trip (non winter) policies only and any claims were dealt with by Travel Claims Facilities.

What is the difference between policy A and policy B?

The cover for Policy A, (your pre-travel policy), and parts of Policy TD (your trip disruption policy ) start from the commencement date of cover shown on your insurance certificate, after the policy was issued and ends when you leave home to start your trip. On annual multi-trip policies cover starts on the chosen starting date and cancellation cover is not in force until that date, subsequent trips start from the date of booking.

The cover under policies B (your travel policy), G (your gadget & mobile phone policy) and part of TD (your trip disruption policy) starts when you leave home as shown on your insurance certificate and ends on your return home or expiry of the policy, whichever is the first.

I am in the British Forces, can I purchase a policy?

Yes of course you can – we do cover travellers in the British Forces if they have a BFPO address. A number of our policies also provide cover for cancellation if your leave is revoked due to HM Forces requirements. All trips under the travel insurance policy must start and end within the UK.

I have bought a policy through a comparison site and I wasn’t given the opportunity to declare my medical condition, how do I make sure my medical conditions are covered?

If you purchased your policy through a comparison site, you can declare your medical conditions to us and ensure you’re covered by clicking here.

Single Trip

What is the maximum age for a Single Trip policy?

We are able to provide Single Trip insurance up to 115 years old.

How long can I travel on a Single Trip policy for?

You are able to travel on a Single Trip policy up to a maximum of 94 days in total. Any longer? No problem, we also offer a Longstay policy option.

My travelling companion has a different address to me, what do we put on the policy?

If you are travelling with another person named on the policy, but live at different addresses, don’t panic! The address entered on the policy should match that of the lead traveller and is only used for correspondence in the event of a claim, or for sending Multi Trip renewal reminders.

I would like to purchase a family policy but one of my children is 18, what should I do?

On a family policy, there should be a maximum of 2 adults with a maximum of 6 children/infants (infants are 0-3, children 4-17, adults 18+). If you already have two adults on the policy aged 18+ and one of your children is also 18, they will not fit into the family policy criteria as they are classed as an adult and will need to purchase their own separate insurance policy.

Are theme park and water park holidays covered?

Yes, these are covered as standard.

I have a medical condition that is controlled by medication, therefore I have no symptoms. Do I need to declare this?

Yes you do!

Generally, tablets and medications for long term medical conditions are prescribed to stabilise and control any symptoms or act as a precautionary measure, not cure it completely. Even though you may not experience any noticeable symptoms, the underlying cause of the condition still exists and you will need to declare this to us when purchasing a policy.

Declaring any medical condition, no matter how big or small, will not necessarily cause a significant raise in your premium. However, by not declaring medical conditions you risk voiding your policy in the unfortunate event of a claim.

Multi Trip

What is the maximum age for a Multi Trip policy?

We are able to provide Multi Trip insurance up to 74 years old. Please note that if you choose a Wintersports policy, cover is only available up to age 64.

How long can I travel on a Multi Trip policy for?

On a Multi Trip policy you are able to make as many trips as you like within a 12 month period, with a maximum duration of 31 days per trip. Each trip must start and finish within the UK.

I have a couples/family Multi Trip policy, can the adults travel separately?

Yes, any adults listed on the policy are able to travel independently of each other, however all children when travelling must be accompanied by an adult who is named on the policy.

Does a yearly Multi Trip policy automatically renew?

We do not automatically renew Multi Trip policies. Notices are sent out roughly 3 weeks before the policy is due to finish and include a special ‘thank you’ discount for being a loyal customer. It is important to remember that if you choose not to purchase a new policy, any subsequent trips after the end date of your policy will not be covered.

Can I upgrade my policy to include worldwide cover?

Yes of course you can. The policy can be upgraded to a higher range of cover at any time, and as many times as you like.

Do I need to inform you every time I travel?

No, you do not need to inform us of your travel plans before each trip.

Since purchasing the policy, my medical conditions/medication has changed, do I need to tell you?

Yes, you will need to inform us of any changes to your medicines, any new medical conditions, as well as any hospital/doctors tests and visits throughout the lifetime of your policy.

This is to ensure that we have your up to date medical information on file, but also to protect you in the event of needing medical assistance whilst abroad and/or needing to make a claim.


What is the maximum age for a Longstay policy?

We are able to provide Longstay insurance up to 55 years old.

How long can I travel on a Longstay policy for?

You are able to travel on the Longstay policy up to a maximum of 744 days (24 months).

I'm looking at purchasing the Longstay insurance but haven't got a return date for my trip - is this okay?

If you have not yet chosen a return date and have no return home flights booked, this is absolutely fine, just choose a rough end date to start with. Our Longstay policies offer complete flexibility with cover available up to 24 months (from the original start date of the policy) as well as the ability to extend your trip as many times as you like, provided you contact us each time before the current expiry date.

Alpha are one of the few insurers that offer travel policies for 24 month trips, however we cannot offer cover or extend your insurance for any trips longer than this total duration.

If you needed to make a claim you may be asked to provide proof of intent to return home. Please see the next question for an explanation on what this means and what you can use.

What does proof of intent to return home mean and what can I use?

If you are planning a longer stay trip and do not have a return home date, you may be asked to provide proof of intent to return home in the event you need to make a claim. Our travel insurance policies must start and finish within the UK, therefore proof of intent is basically just a way to prove to the Claims team that you are not intending to emigrate.

You can use a variety of things to show proof of intent to return home. These could include, but is not limited to:

  • Confirmation of college/university placement.
  • Contract of employment commencement date.
  • Rental agreement.
  • Consultant appointments in UK.
  • Copy of log book confirming ownership of vehicle, with proof of current tax.
  • Court summons/appearances.
  • Mortgage agreement.
  • Current home/contents insurance (in your name).
  • Future travel plans (flight bookings) leaving and returning to the UK.

Unfortunately we cannot accept visas, visa expiry, payslips, UK bank accounts, GP/surgery appointments, wedding/christening/family event invitations as proof of intent to return. If in any doubt, please contact Travel Claims Facilities and they will be happy to advise you further on what is needed.

I have already begun my trip/I am already out of the UK, can you provide cover?

You can only purchase travel insurance once you have departed for your trip, but only if the following apply to you;

  • You have been out of the UK for 72 hours (three days) or less
  • You can provide written confirmation of no claims and no claims pending
  • You are registered with a UK GP

If the above do apply, you will need to call our customer services team for a quotation. Please note, policies purchased online will not be valid if you have already left the UK, so you must call us to discuss a quotation.

If you have been out of the UK for over three days, you can call us and each situation will be reviewed by our Underwriters on a case by case basis, or get in touch with our friends over at Global Voyager who specialise in this cover.

I am emigrating, can you provide insurance?

Unfortunately Alpha is not able to provide cover for emigration as all travel must start and end within the UK for it to be classed as valid. General travel insurance policies are not suitable for emigrating and need specialist cover, we have partnered up with Global Voyager who can help!


What is the maximum age for a Wintersports policy?

We are able to provide Wintersports insurance up to 79 years old.

How long can I travel on a Wintersports policy for?

You are able to travel on a Wintersports policy up to a maximum duration of 94 days in total.

Is there a limit on how many days I can ski or snowboard?

You can ski or snowboard for as many days as you like – all day, every day during the course of your policy, if you can manage it!

What cover for equipment is there on the policy?

The Wintersports policy is able to cover lost, stolen or damaged owned equipment, as well as lost or stolen hired equipment. Please see the Wintersports cover tables for more information.

Can I take part in non-winter based activities?

Although the policy is designed to cater for the keen winter enthusiast and includes cover, you are able to take part in non-winter based activities too.

Some of these non-winter based activities will be included as standard on your policy already (packs 1-3 are included free!) whereas others will require a higher activity pack and an additional premium. Please get in touch with us to discuss your individual requirements and we will be happy to help.

Do you provide cover for 'off piste' skiing and snowboarding?

Skiing and snowboarding within your ski resort is covered as standard. We define a ski resort as “an area that has prepared ski runs and bashed/groomed slopes and is serviced by lifts and tows which operate seasonally.”

If you are intending to ski or snowboard in any other area then this is classed as ‘off piste’. If you are skiing ‘off piste with a guide’ this is included as standard, however if you do not have a guide this will only be covered if you have paid the additional premium. Please contact us and we can add this on for you.

Share this page:
Alpha Travel Insurance
Secure Purchase