Retrieve a Quote Get Policy Document
Call us: 0203 829 6764
Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat-Sun 9am-5pm

Working Abroad in Your Gap Year

Not sure what to do on your Gap year?  Not enough money to do all the things you would like?  Have you considered working abroad to help fund your travels?  In fact, it may enable you to stay away for longer!

With so many countries and opportunities out there you are bound to find one to suit you.  Just remember, you will require specialist travel insurance which covers working trips abroad, to make sure you are fully protected. Visit our Alpha Longstay travel insurance page for more information on the affordable cover we can offer.

It's also a good idea to check with the Embassy of your destination(s) and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office websites for more information:

We have listed some of the things you should do before you go...

Be prepared - Find out what paperwork, visas and work permits you need in advance.  For instance: for most countries you will need to apply for a work permit before you arrive.

Check your passport is valid, this should also include a minimum of six months after the date you plan to return to the UK.

Learn the language - Most countries will appreciate you learning the local dialect, especially employers.

Research - You'll have to go through the necessary legal procedures to apply for permission to work overseas.  Also, there are several sites in the UK that can assist you in finding the right type of work and for the duration you want and they will also help with some of the paper work.

Banking/money - You should set up online banking before you go.  This will make managing your money so much easier while abroad.  You will also need to inform your bank and card providers that you will be travelling, as they may suspect fraud when foreign payments start to appear on your account.

Familiarize yourself with the tax regulations of your destination to ensure you don't end up overpaying.  If possible, obtain a code before you entry the country.

Buy adequate Working Abroad Travel Insurance - You never know when you might need monetary help if anything should go wrong.

Here's just a few examples of what you could be doing in a few months time....

Australia - Working on a sheep and cattle station, becoming a yacht-master, waitressing, fruit picking, internship, surf instructor, divemaster.

New Zealand - Fruit picking, hostel work, hospitality/hotel work, office/temp work, vineyard work.

South East Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam, Brunei, East Timor, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore) - Teaching English, trained scuba divers (you can train up whilst there), nursing, physiotherapy, engineering.

Canada - Hospitality/hotel work, childcare, ski placements, camp counsellor, ranch training.

China - Nursery teacher or assistant, teaching English (and learning about the Chinese language), internship programs in finance, marketing, media/PR/events, fashion design, IT, travel and tourism, hospitality.

Europe - Nanny, chef, tour leaders, au pairs, water sports instructor, turtle conservation in Greece, winter sports instructor.

Share this page:
Alpha Travel Insurance
Secure Purchase