The Backpacker’s Down Under Guide to Australia
You may have pioneered up Kilimanjaro, defeated Fuji, climbed active volcanoes and other impressive feats of bravery - but have you considered backpacking across the outback in Oz?
With its superb climate, beautiful beaches and laid back lifestyle, Australia is a destination that really appeals to free spirit in all of us. With Australia being a vast country, backpacking serves as not only a cost effective way of getting around and making the most of your trip, but will leave you with a hungry thirst for further adventure.
Sydney is often the backpacker's starting point as direct flights are frequent and readily available at a good price. After initially exploring the capital, the most popular backpacking routes progress towards the East Coast:
- Sydney to Cairns - Don't miss the opportunity to go snorkelling with the fish and explore the outstanding Great Barrier Reef! Surfer's Paradise or Byron Bay are also stunning beach destinations!
- Sydney to Melbourne - Take in the Australian Capital of Canberra, visit stunning Snowy River Country before hitting the impressive Great Ocean Road on the last leg into the cosmopolitan Victorian Capital.
- The Red Centre - Take a trek in to the desert and travel via the amazing Blue Mountains in New South Wales and finish off at Uluru - home to Ayers Rock.
- ŸStock up the supplies! - Backpacks, backpacking equipment and other outdoor and travel supplies are sold all over Australia, so you won't have any problems refilling broken, lost, or used-up items at good prices.
- Pack light - Try to keep the weight of your rucksack to a bare minimum. Backpacks should ideally weigh no more than 33% of the carrier's weight, so it's probably a good idea to leave those extra pairs of shoes at home!
- ŸTake advantage of bus routes - There can often be a vast 12 hour walking distance between you and your destination.
- Always have travel insurance! - Australia has a good medical system with free health services in hospitals for emergencies but doctors visits cost money and rebates are only available to those in the Medicare system. Alpha Travel Insurance can provide you with peace of mind on your backpacking trip, including cover for over 100 activities covered free of charge!