Top 10 Crazy Travel Insurance Claims
Lost baggage, cancellation, lost possessions or medical costs - these are some of the most claimed-for items from travel insurance companies. Whilst not all holidays go to plan without a hitch, it's surprising that there are people trying to claim for being harassed by monkeys, a bad haircut or stolen hemorrhoid cream. Check out some of our favourites in this week's blog post...
- One pensioner lost his sea legs, and his dentures, when he was vomiting over the side of a cruise ship. He later claimed from his travel insurance company for 'lost baggage'.
- As children do, a mischievous pair of kids in Cornwall visited the beach and buried their parent's video camera in the sand to stop it from being stolen whilst they went swimming - but then couldn't remember where they'd buried it.
- One man called a travel insurance company wanting to claim for his daughter's bad haircut. She had caught her hair and burnt it on the oven in their apartment so he had paid for her to have it cut whilst they were abroad on holiday. The haircut turned out badly, and he thought his travel insurance should cover the cost.
- Another claimant states that the yellow tax disc on his car 'enticed' a deer to head-butt his car windscreen
- A couple of holidaymakers in Malaysia returned to their accommodation to discover that the local monkeys had stolen their clothes and scattered them throughout the neighboring rainforest.
- Two holidaymakers enjoying a stay-cation in Devon filed a claim for damage to the paintwork of their car, after they said it was licked by a herd of cows.
- A keen ski enthusiast arrived in an Alpine resort to find there was very little snow and she was unable to ski. She claimed for the new set of skis she had bought before she departed from the UK - her claims were later rejected by the travel insurance company.
- A Brit abroad: A young British traveller was distracted by a group of women in bikinis nearby and walked straight into a bus shelter in Athens, breaking his nose. He later claimed for the medical costs.
- Another woman had her cosmetics bag stolen whilst on holiday and was extremely distressed as it contained her various expensive lotions, potions and make-up. However, the thief would have had a shock as one of the expensive face cream tubs actually contained cream for her hemorrhoids.
- A British couple's idyllic wedding soon took a turn for the worse when the brides dress was caught alight by a brick of coal that fell from the BBQ. The smart-thinking groom quickly picked up his new blazing bride, ran down the beach and threw her into the ocean.
Although some of these claims seem silly, they can provide us all with a good laugh, and it seems that these people are probably glad to have invested in travel insurance (except maybe the lady with the skis and the girl with the bad haircut). For quality travel insurance you can trust, visit Alpha Travel Insurance!